Monday 11 September 2017

DIY Cardboard Cat house! Update + Apology!

Hey everyone! Where have I been!? I do apologise for suddenly disappearing, however the reason why is an interesting and very lucky story.

I am a part of my local bee keeping group and went for my first visit a few months ago. Never seen a bee hive before so of course they took a liking to my fresh new face and decided to sting me 6 times. Poor girls...

Anyhoo about an hour or so later, I developed vertigo and some mild chest pain which (at first) felt only little more than some bad stomach pain. So I decided to call an Ambulance anyway, just in case I was allergic to bees. Wasn't the case but boy was I lucky anyway.

After multiple blood tests and being hooked up to an ECG machine for 5 hours the doctors diagnosed me with a Pulmonary Embolis. That's a big ol' blood clot in my lungs. For may people...a death sentence and I'm still so very young.

I stayed overnight and as soon as a new doctor came in for his shift I was discharged. Not something that should have happened, but that's another story. So anyway I was monitored by my private doctor intensively for a few weeks while I had regular blood thinner injections in the stomach and multiple xrays of my chest to monitor what was going on. By this stage my breathing deteriorated a little but the blood clot was dissolving. Semi good news!

Unfortunately because of all this business I developed a mild infection and chronic asthma which may be permanent in some capacity. I'm still undergoing treatment so the extent is something to discover at a later date. I was prescribed some heavy immune killing steroids, usually reserved for cancer patients, some antibiotics and several "puffer" style steroids for my lungs.

After several weeks of this I'm walking, talking, breathing and still living. The blood clot is long gone although the cause is still a giant mystery, and I'm starting to talk very well without much breathing difficulty. Although my chronic cough is still around. So I will be picking up my video's shorty =)

On to my latest project! I'm still a little shakey so miniatures are not on the table for the time being. I ordered a new computer (mine was like 8 years old anyway) and it came in a HUGE cardboard box. Which my new kitten tempest adored. So I decided to make a little home for him.


Excuse the mess! I cleaned up all the packaging and tape stuck to the edges and taped down the top flap to be more roof-shaped. Cut out a few holes for a door and some windows and the basic shape was done.


Despite the fact that this will be obliterated by my cats, I decided to decorate it anyway. What would be more fitting than using pages from my local Better Homes and Garden's magazines that I had been collecting for months. God knows why.


I did however run into a few issues. Tempest wanted to help the best he could and would often swipe or slap my hands as I tried to glue down pieces of page to the box.He also took pride in bringing me pieces from my discard pile.


Don't worry I used non-toxic children's glue. Safe to eat! I probably ate a lot of this as a child anyway. As most kids do.


Finally my project was complete! Tempest has a new house to destroy and attack me from as i walk past to the bedroom. He seems to like it.


Of course he needs a few of his favorite toys taped to the sides. I decided not to make this permanent as he carries them around at night and wouldn't be fair to take that from him.


Yeah i would count the box as a success. I sealed the box with a single coat of the non-toxic glue and the box was ready to be kitten tested.


Tempest was a feral which I found during a storm and pulled from a drain. Check out his page for more information!

Hope to see you guys in my next tutorial =)

No comments:

Post a Comment